Sunday, July 19, 2009

So much poetry we didn't mind not seeing moose.

Yesterday was a big day, so big that I was too tired to write when we returned home. Part of me thinks I should wait to write about it, but I think I will disregard that little voice and just do it.

We left for Turku about 2:00 so we would have time to visit Turku Castle, an avant-garde exhibit of Russian art, have dinner and find the Turku Student Theater in time for the reading at 7:00. We accomplished all this, and more. As I said, it was a big day.

Turku Castle is interesting because of its huge size but also because it proudly wears its many renovations from its first incarnation in the 1200s. I enjoyed its many twisting passageways that opened, surprisingly, into massive rooms.



The afternoon sunlight was beautiful through the wavy windowpanes.


With just enough time, we left the castle to see the Wäinö Aaltosen museo and have a quick dinner. The student theater was quite close to the restaurant (thanks to Karri's fine planning), so it was an easy walk there.
The reading started pretty much right on time, which is unusual for most poetry readings. And it was a good thing it did since it lasted for three hours, again, unusual for most poetry readings. With 13 of us reading, it was a fast-paced and interesting night. I enjoyed the diversity of the poets Karri assembled, and those of use who haven't read in public since the 1980s (ahem), appreciated his informal MC style, as well as the fact that the audience was attentive and enthusiastic. The theater has good acoustics and is an intimate (without being crowded) space. While I provide some pictures here, I must save some for Geof to use in his more thorough discussion, and unfortunately, we don't have usable pictures of all the participants. We do have lots of video (which may not be posted anywhere for a bit, but which will be eventually).
Henriikka Tavi

Quo Vadis Band

Karri Kokko introducing Christian Bök

Geof Huth

To borrow Karri's quote about the reading, "It was the fastest three hours I've ever spent."

For a slightly different perspective of the reading, Satu Kaikkonen has written a kind and thoughtful (and much more thorough than mine!) discussion of the reading, with pictures of everyone involved. Unfortunately, we had to say good-bye to her and her husband after the reading, but I know I will read her blogs often to keep up with all the interesting and varied work she does.

After the reading, many of us walked to a nearby beer garden and restaurant for drinks. We sat outside enjoying the warm summer night and the company. I tried one good darkish beer and then had a lempi mustikka, a blueberry hard cider, which was really good. Eventually, we noticed that the night had actually become dark, so we knew it was quite late. And as I noted at the beginning, we were so tired, we did not stay up to record the day's events but went straight to bed.

It is hard for me to express the significance of being able to read with such talented writers and performers. An amazing experience I will always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment