Friday, July 17, 2009

Holey ice-cream, winding river, tassled grain . . . but still no moose . . .

The day began with frustration as Geof tried to finish a booklet for tomorrow night's reading in Turku. Geof settled on a work-around solution, and Karri arranged for it to be printed. At 1:00, we gathered downstairs for a group picture and then to listen to Satu's presentation of her emergence and process as a visual poet. She is amazingly productive, and her work is ever-changing and beautiful. She is also an elementary teacher, so I've enjoyed talking to her and learning a little about Finnish education.

After Satu's presentation, Geof and I prepared our scripts for tomorrow night's reading. Even though I will still have to use my reading glasses, we blew my poems up to a bigger font just in case. With that finally out of the way, Karri drove Geof, Christian and me to Turku to pick up Geof's booklets and to have dinner. We spent a bit of time scouting out stationery supply stores but when Karri found us a shopping mall right in downtown Turku, we were set.

Not only did we find a book/stationery store, but we also found more Mövenpick ice-cream, our new favorite. Since it was likely the shop would be closed by the time we finished eating dinner, we decided to have this as a pre-dinner dessert. I had an intense banana flavor. As the counter girl dug craters into the ice-cream containers, Karri and I joked that Christian and Geof were struggling to resist the compulsion to smooth out her scoop-holes (as had been previously discussed at dinner). Geof has been smoothing out my ice-cream holes for years, a thing that never ceases to amuse me. She offered to allow them behind the counter to smooth out all the uneven spots, but they declined.

We had yet another great dinner and then walked along the Aura River. I took many pictures as Karri, Geof and Christian walked ahead and talked.


Once again, the main topic of conversation on the ride home was whether we would see any moose, what we would do IF we saw any moose, and how to avoid death if we happened to be surprised by a moose on the road. The conversation took a strange turn when Karri said he'd seen an article about a man who supposedly jumped on a swimming moose and rode him for a few meters. From moose, the topic became a discussion of which grain we were passing--rye, wheat or barley. Although I didn't contribute much to this discussion, I did helpfully supply the word "tassle."

Once again I find myself sitting here, feeling pretty darn awake with light still outside my window, only to realize that it's heading towards midnight. Since tomorrow is a big day, and since I'm trying to get to bed before 2:30 a.m., I will finish by posting some pictures from our visit to Turku.

Turku Market

Inside the Turku market

Turku Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment