Sunday, August 2, 2009

Song for Saari

My time at Saaren kartano has apparently inspired me to write music. On the plane from Helsinki to Dublin, I entertained myself by writing musical notation with my colored pencils. This was strangely satisfying on several levels. Although I am not sufficiently proficient in any of the languages I studied in school (French, Latin and, briefly, Russian), I am fluent in the language of music. I have always thought musical notation a beautiful visual language that (of course) becomes wordless sound. So while I often mourn my lack of facility with human languages other than English, I have begun to appreciate (again) my facility for that other language, of music.

This is the third of these "songs" written in the last several days.

Song for Saari
It's more fun to compose "music" when you don't have to worry about how it sounds.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, this so heleä!

    I liked it very much and I'm sure it't plays beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Satu. I'm having fun doing these. Now I need to get a notebook with whiter paper!

    ReplyDelete